• Support
  • Forums
  • Blogs
A New Community Experience is Coming! For more information, please see our announcement.

A guide to getting your OSSIM/Alienvault implementation off the ground quickly

kilgorekilgore

Big Time
+16
Hi, I would like to present my latest creation. It's a SANS STI research paper on assessing the CIS Critical Security Controls using OSSIM.  For quite some time, I have wanted to share some of my hard earned Alienvault configuration skills, and the need to write an academic paper was the perfect excuse.  Although it's geared toward the Critical Security Controls, it's easy to port it to other compliance standards using the techniques described.  The link to the paper in the SANS reading room is here: 

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/logging/ossim-cis-critical-security-controls-assessment-windows-environment-38045

Of course, now my cover's blown between my real name and forum handle; back when I first started posting here, I was feeling quite wet behind the ears, and was paranoid of disclosing too much security related information.  I suspect as an information security practitioner, I'll be feeling wet behind the ears for years to come, so I'll just get on with it :)

Please let me know what you think.  I hope to build it out a bit more in the future, but it's hard to tell what time will permit.

Have a nice weekend!
J4vv4DjsanderrbroomAMeanahbaxamoosa

Share post:

Comments

• This is fantastic @kilgore !!!

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community, I'm sure many will find it extremely useful.
    kilgoreblesliejsander